[ESS] ESS hangs emacs on start-up

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:08:56 CEST 2013

 >> "Carslaw, David" <david.carslaw at kcl.ac.uk>
 >> on Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:38:55 +0000 wrote:

 > Hi
 > I recently tried to update my ESS using SVN and this has caused a problem when
 > starting a fresh session of emacs. Emacs hangs and uses all the CPU. By
 > reverting to different ESS versions I can see that before 5715 (ess-developer:
 > re-factor) everything is OK and emacs starts fine.

So it is emacs startup not R startup? Dos C-g help. If so can you emacs
--debug-init and report the backtrace?

 > Anyone else see this or have ideas as to the problem? Just let me
 > know if you need more info.

Under linux I cannot reproduce this on any emacs version I have. So it
might be windows specific.

Thanks for report. Hopefully other people could reproduce and give a bit
more info.

   Vitalie