[ESS] Aquamacs M-x R behaviour with R 3.0.0 (on Mac OS of course) - help request

Alun Pope alunpope at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 13:59:07 CEST 2013

On 19/04/2013, at 11:17 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:

> On 04/19/2013 02:51 AM, Alun Pope wrote:
>> In the minbuffer after M-x R I get a message as before with R 2.15.x
>> asking for a starting directory.
>>
>> If I have an existing directory in there shown as the default, and hit RET
>> I get a refresh and the same
>> message and directory, but no visible action.  If I put in a new directory
>> name i get a [no match]
>> message in the minibuffer.
>>
>> It seems there is a*R*  buffer created which reports:
>>

>> ERROR: sub-architecture 'x86_64' is not installed
>>
>> Process R exited abnormally with code 1 at Fri Apr 19 17:05:51 2013
>
> Hi Alun:
>
> This doesn't sound like an ESS issue.  But, I'll admit, that I haven't
> ventured into 3.0.0 frontier yet.  For the ESS version, run the command
> M-x ess-version  If that doesn't work, then try F1 v ess-version
> I assume you are using Mountain Lion, but I'm not sure if that matters.
> --
> Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
> Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
> 4 wheels good, 2 wheels better!   Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)
> WWLD?:  What Would Lombardi Do?   Milwaukee, WI, USA

Thanks for your help, Rodney.

The problem seems to be related to not being able to find the right version of R.  The frameworks are all present, and the old versions 2.15 and earlier have directories that correspond to them.  And R 3.0.0 has a directory there and is found if I run R from either the R.app or from a bash shell.  But ess-newest-R has the value nil.

It seems (to me) that ESS is not finding the right version of R any more.  Is there somewhere I can specify which version of R to use?  At the moment I would just be pleased to be able to go back to R-2.15.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh and yes I am using ESS 5.13, which is what is in the latest Aquamacs release.  Thanks for the tip on that.

Alun

Dr Alun Pope

Head of Research
Rismark International