[ESS] Anyone having trouble with R 3.0.0 and Emacs/ESS on windows?

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sun Apr 7 07:14:34 CEST 2013

I have just installed R 3.0.0 for Windows (Windows 7, 64-bit OS) .

The Rgui works fine.

But to my horror I find it does not work with Emacs/ESS.   I have burnt my bridges rather, so I am in a bit of a pickle.

Curiously, if I start a shell within Emacs, I cannot start R going within the shell, but

R CMD Sweave file.Rnw

works fine!  Of course all the editing features with ESS are unaffected, also.

Inside a shell, I get the following:

14:54 - BlockDesign$ R
Fatal error: you must specify '--save', '--no-save' or '--vanilla'

this is a cygwin shell within emacs.  The same thing happens with a cygwin shell outside emacs.

If I issue, for example R --save, then R starts, but in batch mode.  I.e. the first error that happens causes R to barf and die.

Trying to start an R process gives a different error.  M-x R  complains that it can't find "Rterm", and dies.  With R-2.15.3 and previous, pressing tab after M-x R gave a menu including both 32-bit and 64-bit, for example.

If I abandon the cygwin shell within Emacs and use a dos shell, then the same things happens, but curiously with a dos shell outside Emacs, R works as normal.

For info, I am using Vincent Goulet's Emacs all-in-one and ESS 12.09, rev. 5167 2012-09-24, so it's not exactly an antiquated system.

Help!

Bill.

Bill Venables
Post-Retirement Research Fellow