[ESS] The old Windows file chooser problem

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 20:26:57 CEST 2012

Greetings:

I got such encouraging news on the install.packages() issue, it
emboldened me to ask another Windows question.

There was a problem that dates back to the Windows XP. I suppose that
would have been in Emacs-22 or such. Old.  In XP, was the problem that
Emacs would launch a file chooser but then was unable to select a
file.  The chooser would open, but the user could not click on a file
or type in a name.

So the Emacs init has this:

(if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
    (setq use-file-dialog nil))

In Windows 7 with Emacs 24.1, this seems to be a solved problem (at
least in the particular Windows 7 virtual machine where I test Emacs).

Can you tell me if that is relevant any more to Emacs 24.x for Windows
on XP or Vista? (I've recently learned that several of my non-English
speaking students are clinging to WinXP because they have special
setups that cannot be readily upgraded to newer Windows, so I'm trying
to be considerate here :)

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director