[ESS] ess-remote

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Fri Sep 14 18:57:01 CEST 2012

> * Rodney Sparapani <efcnencn at zpj.rqh> [2012-09-14 11:11:54 -0500]:
>
> On 09/14/2012 11:00 AM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> Dear Rodney,
>> I am afraid I do not understand your reply.
>> What is the correct way to run R on a remote machine?
>> Thanks!
>> Sam.
>>

> Two ways:
>
> a) use nxclient
> b) use ssh -X with tramp
>
> Although, the last time that I tried b) help was broken; search

yep,

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again.")
  signal(error ("ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again."))
  error("ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again.")
  ess-error("ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again.")
  ess-command("search()\n" #<buffer  *search-list*> 0.05)
  ess-search-list()
  ess-get-modtime-list()
  ess-get-object-list("shell" exclude-1st)
  ess-get-S-help-topics-function("shell")
  ess-find-help-file("Help on")

> So, I can only really recommend a).  But, I
> must say: a) is fantastic.  If you haven't tried it, then I strongly
> encourage you give it a shot.

I will, thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000