[ESS] font lock

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Wed Sep 5 22:12:52 CEST 2012

> * Vitalie Spinu <fcvahivg at tznvy.pbz> [2012-09-05 21:45:56 +0200]:
>
>   >> Sam Steingold <sds at gnu.org>
>   >> on Wed, 5 Sep 2012 15:12:37 -0400 wrote:
>
>   > I upgraded ESS and now font lock changes the font width.
>   > (ess-function-call-face, ess-numbers-face)
>   > I don't this this is a very good idea for default values.
>   > At least, no other emacs face does it by default.
>
> Both this faces inherit form the font-lock faces
> (font-lock-builtin-face and font-lock-type-face). The problem is that
> some "smart" themes make those faces bold, thick or italics which is
> not desirable in our case. Hence, ess-function-call-face and
> ess-numbers-face are setting :width and :weight to normal.

When someone chooses a smart theme, he is on his own.  I did not chose
any themes, so I should be able to have just one single font.

> Isn't this true for you? Are all your faces bold, or condensed, or
> whatever?

My default font is semicondensed.

Here we are, again, talking "bigger things".
Like with the previous thread about comint and iESS, where I claimed
that iESS has no business changing comint behavior, here I think that no
matter how distasteful the default Emacs behavior is to you, you have no
business changing it in ESS.

People who do not like the default comint and fontifications, can
change them in their own customizations.
Forcing users to customize Emacs twice, i.e., separately for ESS, is not
nice.

Thank you for your understanding.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000