[ESS] mention FreeBSD port in download section?

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Sat Oct 13 16:24:54 CEST 2012

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 08:08:17 -0500
Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:

> On 10/06/2012 04:25 AM, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > on your site (http://ess.r-project.org/index.php?Section=download)
> > you mention installation via native operating system packages for
> > various Linuxes (Fedora, OpenSUSE and Debian-derivates).
> >
> > Since some time we have a FreeBSD port math/ess as well and
> > binaries are built and provided for on the FreeBSD ftp-servers.
> >
> > I do not know about the relevance of FreeBSD, but perhaps you could
> > consider adding a line there? On the other hand, I appreciate any
> > efforts to keep documentation slim, so if we are more or less
> > irrelevant, there are no hard feelings on my side.
> >
> > Thank you for your consideration, cheers,
> > - --
> > Christopher J. Ruwe
>
> Dear Christopher:
>
> Well, these "easy" Linux links have been a PITA.  For example, the
> first for Fedora does not actually lead to an ESS packages AFAICT.
> And, the others have had similar issues like out-of-date, etc.  So, I
> was actually wanting to get rid of them.  But, "we decided" to keep
> them for legacy reasons.  So, through no fault of FreeBSD at all, we
> are not planning to add more links like that.  FWIW, I find PHP
> pretty annoying so I won't be adding much content of any kind if that
> makes you feel better :o)

Dear Rodney,

I perfectly understand your position. Not having the BSD-port advertised
is OK with me.

BTW, sorry for replying that late, I have been extremely busy. Cheers,
--
Christopher
TZ: 	    GMT + 2h

Punctuation matters:
"Let's eat Grandma" or "Let's eat, Grandma" - Punctuation saves lives.
"A panda eats shoots and leaves" or "A panda eats, shoots, and leaves" -
Punctuation teaches proper biology.

Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of
one's native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent
programmer. (EWD 498)