[ESS] Noweb problem after upgrade to ESS 12.09

ottorino ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Fri Oct 12 12:58:10 CEST 2012

Il giorno ven, 12/10/2012 alle 12.38 +0200, Vitalie Spinu ha scritto:
> This lines are not necessary. Rnw-mode is defined in ESS and you better
> not redefine it. Where did you get this idea from? If it's some public
> wiki place, then it should be deleted.
Sure I've found them somewhere.
They were in my .emacs since long time, but I cannot remember when I
added them

http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~kbroman/Rintro/

>   > I can see the 'M-x noweb-describe-mode' but there's no
>   > 'M-x noweb-font-lock-describe-mode'.
>   > The only modes are:
>
> This command was not there before, why would you need it?
I'm using emacs, but I'm not an expert. At least as not as you are.
Each time I get a message I try to read it and to get as much
information as possible to try to solve problems on my own.

>   > On 'M-n-s'
>   > (that is "process this file with Sweave")
>   > in the buffer 'messages' I get:
>
> It's not M-n-s it's "M-n s".  And what do you mean, that you cannot make
> it work?
Yes. My fingers were too fast in adding an extra "-".
But is the same command I can send from the drop-down menu

> Do C-h k M-n s  and see what M-n s is bound to. It should be
> ess-swv-weave.

These are the results

M-n s (translated from <escape> n s) runs the command ess-swv-weave,
which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `ess-swv.el'.

It is bound to M-n s, <menu-bar> <Noweb> <Sweaving, Tangling, ...>
<Sweave>, <menu-bar> <Noweb> <menu-bar> <Sweaving, Tangling, ...>
<Sweave>.

(ess-swv-weave)

Run Sweave on the current .Rnw file.

> Try M-x ess-swv-weave and see if it work.
I tried this suggestion and I get exactly the same as before

>   > Finally I tried to comment out all the lines in my .emacs like this
>   >> ;;  (defun Rnw-mode ()
>   >> ;;   (require 'ess-noweb)
>   >> ;;   (ess-noweb-mode)
>   >> ;;   (if (fboundp 'R-mode)
>   >> ;;       (setq noweb-default-code-mode 'R-mode)))
>
> This is the way to go.
>     Vitalie

I suspected it, and this is how I performed all the above commands

But still, I cannot get sweave to work from within emacs.

I can go from the shell, of course, but I would prefer to get back to my
old habits. M-n s then M-n P

Any other idea ?