[ESS] FreeBSD ports collision of math/ess with devel/noweb

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:59:40 CEST 2012

  >> "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr at cruwe.de>
  >> on Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:50:35 +0200 wrote:

  > I was approached last week by people checking the consistency of all
  > FreeBSD ports. It seems that the port devel/noweb
  > (http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~nr/noweb/), which seems to be a tool complete
  > with corresponding emacs mode used in literate programming, conflicts
  > with math/ess. Both ports would install a
  > share/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-mode.el, which means that both cannot
  > peacefully coexist on the same system.

Right, this is indeed unpleasant. Our noweb-mode.el will be almost
surely deprecated in next release (August-September) for reasons
unrelated to this post.

BTW, if our noweb-mode.el would be installed in a different directory,
that would presumably solve the issue, right?

  > As noweb-mode seems to be a.k.a. Sweave-mode: Is there any chance that
  > the project could  consider renaming that module in the intermediate
  > future, allowing coexistence with devel/noweb or are there any options
  > to resolve this issue upstream withput causing hassle or interruptions?

I hope that we will be able to completely remove it from the repo. If
not, then a more tedious path of complete renaming should be taking.

Best,
Vitalie.