[ESS] Roxygen: arbitrary sections (@section)

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Tue Jan 31 14:38:24 CET 2012

Dear Henning,

I'm starting to see more clearly now:

Le 31/01/2012 01:12, Henning Redestig a écrit :
> Currently, ESS uses roxygen not roxygen2. It does this silently in the
> background but uses same roxygen installation as you would in the
> associated R buffer. If you see differences in output from 'manual'
> roxygen and when using ESS, you probably have several versions of
> roxygen installed.

After a bit of searching in 'ess-roxy.el', I found the function that was
actually used by ess-roxy-preview-*: if "myfun.R" is the file with the
function, the following directly in R gives me the exact same output as
previously reported (i.e. with the problem of arbitrary sections):

make.Rd.roclet()$parse("myfun.R")

Warning in parse.warning(key, "is an unknown key") :
   @section is an unknown key.
[...]

I guess it means that this is a roxygen problem, not an ESS one...

> I think ESS can safely move to roxygen2 since
> roxygen2 appears backwards compatible with roxygen.

I'm sorry I could not find what was the syntax with roxygen2 (it probably
implies 'rd_roclet', but wasn't able to find the correct use of it on a
simple function). Can not say if the use of @section is fixed in roxygen2,
but it probably does not matter. As roxygen is no longer supported, it is
still better to switch to roxygen2 anyway...

> Will fix this in the near future unless someone beats me to it.

Great to hear! :)

> and yes you can have both svn-version and released ESS installed (not
> so much of an installation as just a folder with lisp code) but you
> need to specify in your .emacs which version you want to load.

Thanks for this. I understand that there is no code yet, but please let me
know if you start working on this and need testers, I'll be happy to try it
out!

Best,
Mathieu.