[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca
Fri Feb 17 17:09:24 CET 2012

Chris, which version of my distribution for Emacs 23.3 were you using before upgrading?

Because, from the NEWS file:

Version 23.3-modified-3 (20 August 2011)

(MORE OR LESS) USER VISIBLE CHANGE

o File site-start.el renamed to default.el. Therefore, package loading
  and Emacs configuration now happens *after* any user and site
  configuration file is read. The distribution should now behave
  better with users' settings. Thanks to Rodney Sparapani
  <rsparapa at mcw.edu> and Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> for
  pointers on this issue.

and from the default.el file (formerly site-start.el):

;;;
;;; Nice options to have On by default
;;;
(global-font-lock-mode t)		; syntax highlighting
(transient-mark-mode t)			; sane select (mark) mode
(delete-selection-mode t)		; entry deletes marked text
(show-paren-mode t)			; match parentheses
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill) ; wrap long lines in text mode

Perhaps this may answer why auto-fill does not behave as before on your system.

v.

Vincent Goulet
Directeur général adjoint
Direction générale de la formation continue - DGFC