[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Thu Feb 16 21:33:23 CET 2012

Thanks Rodney. Both of your command suggestions eliminated the error
message, but neither made the default directory C:\DATA.

I'm reluctant to change HOME environment variable to C:\DATA, maybe
because I don't understand the role of HOME sufficiently well. That is
indeed where I keep all the files and documents I create, but my .emacs
file, along with the settings files (for lack of a better word) for many
other applications are under C:\Documents and Settings\ryanc.  For
example, when I made that change to HOME, emacs opened in plain vanilla
out-of-the-box fashion, with none of the customizations in my .emacs
file, even the colors which had been working properly. I guess that's to
be expected, because .emacs was no longer in HOME. So I changed HOME
back to %USERPROFILE%.

--Chris

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904
cryanatbinghamtondotedu

"Observation is a more powerful force than you could possibly reckon.
The invisible, the overlooked, and the unobserved are the most in danger
of reaching the end of the spectrum. They lose the last of their light.
>From there, anything can happen . . ."  [God, in "Joan of Arcadia,"
episode entitled, "The Uncertainty Principle."]