[ESS] Emacs and R in Ubuntu 10.10

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Feb 6 17:20:33 CET 2012

Marta Gomez wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I am trying to set up Emacs so that it sends my script to the R console
> instead of running R commander; but I seem to keep getting error of
> all sorts, and I can't do some of the steps that I see on the web.
> Please could you tell me (in as simple terms as possible in case maybe I missed
> something obvious and I can't see it) how to go about "synchronizing" R
> with Emacs?
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Marta

Hi Marta:

I just did this myself with Ubuntu 11.10.  For some strange reason on
Ubuntu (and Debian I suppose), you need to manually add the ess
directory to the load-path since it does not happen automatically (why
god why?).  Anyways, I did it like this:

(debian-pkg-add-load-path-item "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess")

Rodney