[ESS] Emacs and R in Ubuntu 10.10

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:53:40 CET 2012

Hi Marta,

Usually all it takes is installing R, emacs, and ess:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev emacs ess

Then open a file with a .R exentsion, such as MyRscript.R. Emacs should enter
ess mode, giving you an ESS menu and toolbar (assuming you've not turned
disabled these in your emacs setup). From there you can use the menu to start
R, or type M-x R <ret>.

If you continue to have trouble, please describe the steps you took and the
errors that resulted.

Best,
Ista