[ESS] insert result in the current buffer?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:05:44 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Sam Steingold <sds at gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> my usual workflow is to keep everything I ever type in a file-bound
> buffer and send stuff to the *R* buffer using C-c C-p or C-c C-j.
> sometimes I want to copy the result from *R* to the current buffer.

I'm the last one who would have a right to say "thats a weird way to
do things," because I do a lot of weird things. But it seems like a
weird way to do R projects:)

Why do you want to copy R results into R code files on a regular
basis? I'm just curious.

I would think it is usually sufficient to have one R code file, and a
copy of the R session transcript file. I suppose I can imagine a
scenario in which you are writing an R code that other people should
"step through" and you want to put in commented lines like

## your result should be this

Are there other reasons you want to copy results into R files?

If you are doing that for record keeping purposes, you might be more
happy to write R code in Sweave, that can integrate your code with the
output in a more presentable format.

But mostly I'm just curious what you are up to..

PJ
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director