[ESS] ESS on CentOS 5 throwing errors

Brian zenlines at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:27:22 CEST 2012

Hi Emmanuel,

could you do a sanity check first? You know, does emacs run normally? In
the command line I would enter:

emacs -Q

How does that look?

What about commenting out the '(require 'ess-site)'
and then evaluating it when emacs is open:

M-: (require 'ess-site)
; or
M-: (load "~/.emacs.d/ess-12.04-4/lisp/ess-site.el")

The degugging info may be more informative. If that doesn't help, I am
guessing that compiling emacs on the certain OS will give you a
solution. I base this on only good experience on multiple platforms when
getting a working version of emacs and putting the ESS lisp code where
emacs can find it, and firing it up, that is, merely following the
instructions at ess.r-project.org.  This has worked for me on Windows,
(X,L,K)Ubuntu, and Mac OSX. I am hard pressed to believe that it is a
problem with ESS (or Emacs).

Try that please.

Best,
Brian