[ESS] proposal re: underscore

Brendan Halpin brendan.halpin at ul.ie
Wed Apr 4 22:51:02 CEST 2012

I use ESS for Stata and R, and I like the smart underscore. It is
consistent with other modes in Emacs, where you press a "hot" key twice
to get its basic meaning (e.g., " for `` and '' in auctex).

It doesn't have to be consistent across languages: the fact that it
gives an underscore in ESS-STA and an assignment operator in ESS-R is
perfectly normal.

In fact, if the smart underscore didn't exist, I'd probably have
persisted in using = for assignment in R.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147