[ESS] Feature Idea: open help in browser when viewing it in an emacs buffer

Matthew Landis landis at isciences.com
Mon Oct 31 13:36:00 CET 2011

Steve,

My ESS set up already opens help in HTML.  I can't recall the actual
process of setting it up, but it might be as simple as including this in
your .emacs:

(setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)
(setq inferior-ess-r-help-command "help(\"%s\", help_type=\"html\")\n")

At least, that's what I've got that seems relevant to help.  I can't
claim to follow exactly what it's doing though.

By the way, can anyone tell me why, whenever I call help at the R prompt
(e.g. ?setZ), the help page opens in my browser but also opens a new ESS
buffer in a new frame, called, e.g. *help[R](setZ)*.  This is mildly
annoying.  I would love to have a way of not having that little frame
get in my way each time I call help.

Thanks,

--
Matthew Landis, Ph.D.