[ESS] completion using ess-remote

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Oct 28 20:44:08 CEST 2011

Francois Pepin wrote:
>> Sorry, this is on linux, redhat enterprise 6. A quick test revealed the same behavior on OS X 10.7.1. Both share the same .emacs and ESS install, so that should help to identify the problem. I'll see if I can go down those and find what is causing this.
>>

> I've played around with it some more and I'm getting more and more stumped.
>
> Could someone with another setup verify if this is specific to my setup?
>
> I've cleared my .emacs to only contain:
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/config/emacs/ess-5.14/lisp"))
>
> I've also cleared my .screenrc, .bashrc and .bash_profile. .emacs_bash contains:
> TERM=xterm
>
> Steps:
> 1- on terminal: screen R, then detach it
> on emacs:
> 1- open arbitrary R file to load ESS
> 2- M-x shell
> 3- screen -r
> 4- M-x ess-remote [r]
> 5- asdf<-1 #arbitrary assignment
> 6- asd [tab] #test completion

Hi Francois:

Unfortunately, I don't use screen, but I did install it to try.
For those who don't know, C-a d detaches a screen session.
However, when I get to step 3, I get ...
$ screen -r
Clear screen capability required.

So, I'm stuck at that step which may be unrelated to your issue.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor