[ESS] completion using ess-remote

Francois Pepin francois.pepin at sequentainc.com
Fri Oct 28 19:54:47 CEST 2011

> Sorry, this is on linux, redhat enterprise 6. A quick test revealed the same behavior on OS X 10.7.1. Both share the same .emacs and ESS install, so that should help to identify the problem. I'll see if I can go down those and find what is causing this.

I've played around with it some more and I'm getting more and more stumped.

Could someone with another setup verify if this is specific to my setup?

I've cleared my .emacs to only contain:
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/config/emacs/ess-5.14/lisp"))

I've also cleared my .screenrc, .bashrc and .bash_profile. .emacs_bash contains:
TERM=xterm

Steps:
1- on terminal: screen R, then detach it
on emacs:
1- open arbitrary R file to load ESS
2- M-x shell
3- screen -r
4- M-x ess-remote [r]
5- asdf<-1 #arbitrary assignment
6- asd [tab] #test completion

reattaching the screen on the terminal, I see:
> options(STERM='iESS')
> asdf<-1
> as.character(getRversion() >= "2.7.0")
[1] "TRUE"
> rcompgen:::.assignLinebuffer('asd')
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.assignEnd(3)
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.guessTokenFromLine()
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.completeToken()
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'
> rcompgen:::.retrieveCompletions()
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rcompgen'

All these tests were made on OS X but I could try again on linux (RHEL6) if it could help. An alternative would be to set it up to always use utils::: instead of rcompgen::: but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

Francois