[ESS] r-related question: editing NAMESPACEd functions in packages

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 12:03:52 CET 2011

My turn to ask a question ...  it is mostly r-related, but does have an ESS
twist.

None of my own R packages have ever had a NAMESPACE file, so I could
load the package, then dynamically edit its functions and re-eval it in
ESS just with ess-eval-defun.

R 2.14.0 now seems to require NAMESPACE files.  So, if I now want to
edit and re-eval a function f in my package p, do I have to reload my
package, rather than just do ess-eval-defun on the function f?  (I think
just doing ess-eval-defun on the source code for f will then create two
versions of my function, one in global environment, and one in p::f)

Are there any tips for keeping the edit-run cycle short when editing
functions in NAMESPACE'd packages?

Stephen