[ESS] ess-help+.el

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 15:19:45 CET 2011

2011/11/6 Aleksandar Blagotić <aca.blagotic at gmail.com>:
> It would be nice if you could focus the help buffer that pops up after
> calling help command. I have to "C-x o" every time to help buffer, which is
> a bit cumbersome. I guess this one is feature, rather than a bug, but it
> would improve the user experience, at least from my POV.

Oh, I remember that was bothering me  till I got used finally. This is
a "feature" and is consistent with emacs help system. I implemented
new variable ess-help-pop-to-buffer which controls the behavior. Set
it to t and your help buffer will start getting focus on display.

Note that another feature of standard ESS  is 'ess-help-own-frame
variable, which if set to 'one, displays help in it's own frame and
*makes it active* (useful if you have a huge screen or multiple
monitors).

So ess-help would pop to help in one context and won't in another. A
bit inconsistent in my opinion.
With the new version ess will switch to help buffer only if
ess-help-pop-to-buffer is non-nil, regardless of the value of
ess-help-own-frame value.

Vitalie.