[ESS] Xemacs again {was "file name completion again"}

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4+taglist at gmail.com
Sat May 7 00:12:28 CEST 2011

**Five years ago**, Martin Maechler <maechler <at> stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> I'm again at a stage where I  **hate**  Xemacs :
>
> On startup it ``kindly'' offers to migrate my ~/.emacs to
> ~/.xemacs/... --- which if I allowed it would completely break
> my GNU emacs initialization.
>
> Now that I told Xemacs *not* to migrate it, I found that it
> ``nicely'' edited my ~/.emacs
> **REPLACING** all my carefully collected customized variables
> and faces by the simple three lines
>
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(load-home-init-file t t))
> (custom-set-faces)
>
> I found out when my dealing with attachments in e-mails wasn't
> behaving as it used, and other "funny" things happened
> -----------> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
>
> 	     (luckily I found a backup of ~/.emacs)

The bug you were experiencing seems like one that was fixed three years ago.
See http://tracker.xemacs.org/XEmacs/its/issue158

In general, when you see a data loss bug like the one you experienced, it's
worth reporting to the developers:  they tend to place a high priority on fixing
data loss bugs.

All the best,
--Jason Spiro
Toronto, Canada