[ESS] Easy argument list: r-autoyas

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:56:57 CET 2011

On 03/15/2011 02:26 PM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     VS> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM, ottorino
>     VS> <ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it>wrote:
>
>     >> Hi all again,
>     >> it seems that yas interferes with the call to help pages.
>     >> If I call from the R buffer
>     >> ?read.table
>     >> In the buffer contained in the new help frame I get
>
>     VS> Error: can't find the function ".help.ESS"
>     >>
>     VS> It's because ESS installs .help.ESS after the post-run hook
>     VS> withought waiting for the prompt (thing what I would
>     VS> personally consider to be almost a bug).
>
> Hmm, .. yes.  A patch is welcome ...
>
> and if I'll end up finding some more time I'd also be very happy
> to try the other nice innovations that you (ess-tracebug) and
> Sven (r-autoyas) have recently made available.
> These are definitely features and ideas that ideally should be made
> available and be well integrated with  ESS

This is not my call, but I think that it would be brilliant if they
could be integrated into ESS directly. The only aspect which definitely
eeds to be fixed with r-autoyas is that it does *not* play nicely with
or-gmode / babel where it breaks the C-c ' editing of source code blocks.

If this can not be done, I would opt to leave it out of ESS - as much as
I would regret this.

But ess-tracebug works absolutely brilliant and from my experience (user
of org mode / babel) there is no reason why it should not be included in
ESS.

Cheers,

Rainer

.. unless you
> disagree.
>
> It just seems that most of the ESS core team members have been
> pretty busy with other matters and duties the last couple of weeks.
>
> Best regards,
> and thank you guys for these lively ESS-help streams...
>
> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
>
>     VS> To solve it change the function r-autoyas-inject-commands
>     VS> to use ess-eval-linewise instead of process-send-string:
>
>    [.............]

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building