[ESS] ESS installation (Windows) problem

Li, Preston Preston.Li at blackrock.com
Fri Mar 11 00:38:38 CET 2011

Hi,

I am on Windows XP and have both GNU Emacs 21.3.1 installed as well as
the latest ESS 5.13 unpacked as follow:

C:/ess/ess-5.13/ess-5.13/
C:/Program Files/GNU EMACS/site-lisp/

The installation instructions at
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/readme.html suggests adding (load
"C:/ess/ess-5.13/ess-5.13/lisp/ess-site") to ~/.emacs

Where exactly should the .emacs be?  Does it already exist or do I have
to create it.  I only see one file (subdirs.el) under C:/Program
Files/GNU EMACS/site-lisp/

Also, in Windows (as opposed to Unix) I thought file names starting with
a "." is prohibited, no?

Please advise.  Thanks.

BlackRock
400 Howard Street | San Francisco | CA | 94105
(415) 670-2139

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, BlackRock, Inc. and its subsidiaries, ("BlackRock") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not reflect the views and opinions of BlackRock, unless the author is authorized by BlackRock to express such views or opinions on its behalf.  All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by BlackRock.  Although BlackRock operates anti-virus programs, it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being passed.