[ESS] ESS: running blocks of script very slow

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:45:09 CET 2011

Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>> This proposal makes it impossible to track a project.
>
> I think the best wasy to reliably track a project is to run the scrpts
> in BATCH, rather than interactively -- you may think you've got a record
> of everything you did interactively, but how can yo ube sure?
>
>> Now here's my question. Has this slowdown always been there?  I don't
>> think I noticed it until about 8 or 10 months ago.  It is about the
>> same time that Sweave started giving the ESS process not ready error.
>> Is there a common cause?
>
> I first noticed it probably 8-9 years ago (!), and I tried (and failed)
> then to debug the cause, so it was not trivial then, and I doubt
> trivival now.  My hunch would be that it was something that changed in
> comint.el rather than the ESS sources.

I've also tried to hunt the problem by commenting/changing the
ess-eval-linewise.

It looks that

 (accept-process-output sprocess 0 timeout-ms)

is taking all that time during the prompt waiting loop.

Because that is the built-in C function, I am afraid there is not much
what could be done from ESS :(

Vitalie.