[ESS] ESS: running blocks of script very slow

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 09:31:06 CET 2011

> This proposal makes it impossible to track a project.

I think the best wasy to reliably track a project is to run the scrpts
in BATCH, rather than interactively -- you may think you've got a record
of everything you did interactively, but how can yo ube sure?

> Now here's my question. Has this slowdown always been there?  I don't
> think I noticed it until about 8 or 10 months ago.  It is about the
> same time that Sweave started giving the ESS process not ready error.
> Is there a common cause?

I first noticed it probably 8-9 years ago (!), and I tried (and failed)
then to debug the cause, so it was not trivial then, and I doubt
trivival now.  My hunch would be that it was something that changed in
comint.el rather than the ESS sources.

Stephen