[ESS] ESS: running blocks of script very slow

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:59:41 CET 2011

The slowdown has certainly been there for the last 5 years.  I have
always thought it had to do with fontification of the *R* buffer, but
that is pure speculation.

Personally, aside from the speedup, I like the behavior of
ess-eval-visibly-p.  And one could argue, that if you believe in "the
source code is real", you do not care about keeping track of what is
being sent to the *R* buffer.  My only problem with the behaviour is
that it currently does something like

+++++> POINT

where I would really like

+++++
> POINT

or perhaps ++++ exchanged with something like <SNIP>.

However, getting back to the discussion,  I can see that some people
would prefer to see the entire output.  And turning it off purely for
speed reasons seems to be less desirable.  Having said that, I have no
idea on how to start fixing it.

Kasper