[ESS] ESS: running blocks of script very slow

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:39:13 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Matthew Landis <landis at isciences.com> wrote:

> I guess for no other reason than that's what I'm used to.  But sometimes I
> move the point and forget what exactly I submitted.  It's a very minor
> issue, and certainly the advantages of ESS far outweigh this minor
> inconvenience.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Matthew Landis, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist

I think Matthew is right.  We shouldn't let him back down.

This proposal makes it impossible to track a project.

For record keeping and transmission of material to other people, it is
very important to me to have 'what actually ran' in the same file with
the results.  Perhaps Vitalie is still able to remember all of the
commands he has ever run and can link them with the output sections of
various files.  But  I can't.

Turning off the commands in the output file is, well, throwing out too
much.  Sometimes I'm working on something and save the output file and
later wonder "what did I do that caused that"? And I can read the
code.  Or somebody sends me something, and I wonder how they get it?
I can't say how it looks on your system, but when I use

(setq ess-eval-visibly-p nil)

The R output buffer still shows individual lines that are sent to R,
but just not regions.  So it produces a very horrible record of what
happened.

Now here's my question. Has this slowdown always been there?  I don't
think I noticed it until about 8 or 10 months ago.  It is about the
same time that Sweave started giving the ESS process not ready error.
Is there a common cause?

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson