[ESS] indentation after an incomplete assignment?

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Mon Jun 6 01:16:37 CEST 2011

Thank you all for the kind suggestions. I often use Richard's
approach, although it makes the code one line "longer" than usual.

I knew I would be asked why I used = rather than <-. I'm just an
outlier. I first learned S-Plus about 7 years ago and at that time I
was taught to use _ for assignment; later in another class I learned _
could be replaced by <-. Since = was used in all other languages I
learned and both _ and <- were difficult to type, I wondered for a
long time why we could not use =, which turned out to be false -- I
was excited that = could be used in R. Then I was stuck. I guess all
of you recognize the poem below :)

[...]
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence: