[ESS] Problem installation ESS

Marianne Promberger marianne.promberger at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 09:32:11 CEST 2011

Hi Lenka,

Lenka STYFALOVA <lenickaaa at gmail.com> 17-Jul-11 21:26:
> I have some problems with the installation of ESS. I use Linux Mint as
> my operation system, I have installed GNU Emacs 23.3.1 and I downloaded
> the ESS version 5.13. I have unpacked the ESS to /usr
> /share/emacs/site-lisp but I have not found ~/.emacs to add (require
> 'ess-site).

I'm afraid I can't directly help you with your problem, but in any
case, isn't Linux Mint based on Ubuntu? You could maybe try adding a
CRAN mirror to your /etc/apt/sources.list. In Ubuntu, you can then
install ess via "apt-get". I do this and as far as I can see I have no
line (require 'ess-site) in my ~/.emacs and ESS loads/ works just
fine.

Instructions on adding a mirror to sources.list:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

(scroll down for "Secure Apt" to stop apt-get complaining about
missing keys)

Marianne

--
Marianne Promberger PhD