[ESS] How to tell if R is ready after ess-eval-*?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:09:44 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:

> For me, after the first help.start() it is still OK.  But, when you
> click on Packages, and you see the buffer say "Making packages.html
> . done", then I get the spinner endlessly.  If I then issue
> help.start() again and click on Packages, it's fine.  Not really
> sure what is going on.

Ah, I see. For some reason the printed output from R's HTTP server
commands does not end with ">". It looks like the program is still
running in the background.
The only way that I am aware of to generate this from R is to use
'scan' to wait for user input. It might be that it's an intended
feature to make clear that R HTTP server session is in progress.

Vitalie.