[ESS] org-mode/ESS question

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 22 21:35:53 CET 2011

<cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu> wrote:

hi guys,
> Probably better to take this over to the org-mode maillist.
No, I think this is an ESS  issue.  Forget about org-mode for now, try
the following.

Create an empty foo.R buffer then type

x <- rnorm(100) C-x C-s

and you will see that a trailing-newline is added when you save.  This
extra trailing newline is added because require-final-newline is t for R
buffers.  This isn't new behaviour.

> > Assuming not (laughable, I know), is there any way to turn it off?  I
> > can't see any reason why I would want this blank line.
Try setting require-final-newline to nil (e.g. via a hook).

> > #+BABEL: :session *R* :results output :exports both :tangle yes :cache yes
> >
> > no longer works and needs to be replaced by
> >
> > #+PROPERTY:  session *R*
> > #+PROPERTY:  results output
> > #+PROPERTY:  exports both
> > #+PROPERTY:  tangle yes
> > #+PROPERTY:  cache yes
> >

> Yes, and don't forget to C-c C-c after changing those properties (or
> save and open the file) or the new values will not be honored!

Thanks for that tip.

Stephen