[ESS] org-mode/ESS question

Brett Presnell presnell at stat.ufl.edu
Wed Dec 21 23:37:21 CET 2011

I'm using the latest org-mode from the git repository together with ESS
5.14 in GNU Emacs 23.1.1, but I've been getting the following behaviour
for as long as I can remember.

Suppose I'm editing myfile.org, and inside an R source block I type
C-c', which escapes to an ESS buffer where I can edit the R code using
all the niceties of ESS.  If I type C-xC-s in the ESS buffer to save my
work, it correctly saves myfile.org, but only after adding a blank line
to the end of the source block.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it something peculiar to my setup?
Assuming not (laughable, I know), is there any way to turn it off?  I
can't see any reason why I would want this blank line.

PS: If you update to the latest org mode from git, you will find that
a header lines like

#+BABEL: :session *R* :results output :exports both :tangle yes :cache yes

no longer works and needs to be replaced by

#+PROPERTY:  session *R*
#+PROPERTY:  results output
#+PROPERTY:  exports both
#+PROPERTY:  tangle yes
#+PROPERTY:  cache yes

Just another joy of being on the bleeding edge, but eventually this will
make it into the stable release as well.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

"We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth."
   -- Richard Stallman