[ESS] Swankr

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Sat Dec 10 22:03:31 CET 2011

"Sparapani, Rodney" <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

> I've got a similar setup on OS X, i.e. no sbcl.  I get to this point...
>
> After performing the installation steps above, M-- M-x slime RET R RET
> should start swank. You will be prompted to accept a version mismatch
> – simply accept – then the SLIME REPL should start up, giving a
> prompt. Enjoy!
>
> But, I get no prompt....

That's one problem, which clearly we should aim to resolve.

> So, then I tried M-x slime-connect and now I do see a prompt, but I
> can't figure out how to send something to the prompt from a .R file.
> If I launch help.start(), then it looks at the host and port that I
> accepted after slime-connect, but it doesn't seem to be working.  What
> am I missing?

The REPL is not in itself for having things sent to from .R files.  The
first step is to simply type in things like "1+1" to the slime repl --
does that work?  (It should print 2, probably in red, and the resulting
output should have mouse actions associated with it).

To get stuff in .R files active, you will probably need manually to turn
slime-mode on for those buffers with M-x slime-mode RET.  Once that is
done, C-c C-c in a function definition should flash up that function
region with a temporary yellow highlight, and give an informative
message (hopefully "Compilation finished.") in the minibuffer.  Those
functions should then be defined in the current R session, and can be
called in the slime repl.

Cheers,

Christophe