[ESS] Customisation of ess-r-versions or ess-r-versions-list

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 18 02:19:44 CEST 2011

On 18/08/2011, at 5:38 AM, Stephen Eglen wrote:

>> Yes,
>> (setq ess-s-versions-list
>>       '( ("R64" "/usr/bin/R64")
>>          ("R32" "/usr/bin/R32")))
>> works.  The buffer for R64 is however called *S+6*.  No doubt there is
>> some variable that one can set that will fix this; I have not
>> investigated.
> I don't recall ever doing this for R, but this was quite a few years
> ago.  Did it ever work for you in earlier versions of ESS?

The lines that I had commented out had 'ess-r-versions-list'.  If this variable
has never been available, this would be something that I tried by analogy
with 'ess-s-versions-list' and never did work.

If 'ess-s-versions-list' is to stay, it would seem to be cleanest to have a
matching 'ess-r-versions-list' also, following the precedent of
'ess-s-versions' and 'ess-r-versions'.  An advantage of this way of doing
things (an  'ess-r-versions-list'), for some users at least, is that it is explicit
about the command line statement that is invoked.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm