[ESS] Customisation of ess-r-versions or ess-r-versions-list

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 21:38:37 CEST 2011

> Yes,
> (setq ess-s-versions-list
>        '( ("R64" "/usr/bin/R64")
>           ("R32" "/usr/bin/R32")))
> works.  The buffer for R64 is however called *S+6*.  No doubt there is
> some variable that one can set that will fix this; I have not
> investigated.
I don't recall ever doing this for R, but this was quite a few years
ago.  Did it ever work for you in earlier versions of ESS?

> One can have defvar in place of setq.  Does it matter which one uses?
Better to use setq -- as it will always update the value.  By contrast:

(defvar apple 1)
(defvar apple 2)

Evaluate both lines above, in order, and check "apple" -- it has the
value 1.

Stephen