[ESS] double prompt while connecting to a remote session via ssa on Windows

Keith Ponting k.ponting at aurix.com
Mon Aug 15 11:20:54 CEST 2011

Hello Jannis,

I did not find a clean solution for this, but ended up inserting the
following hack in ~/.bashrc on the remote machine. (I use bash)

# following is for use within Emacs ssh
if [ "$XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME" != "" ]; then
PS1='\u@\h:\w> '
stty igncr -echo
fi

In order to see R plots from the remote machine, I run xming on my PC
(http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/index.php) and have enabled
X11 forwarding in the PuTTy defaults and customised ssh-explicit-args to
"-X".

The test checks for the environment variable XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME, which
is set for my emacs ssh session because I have enabled X11 forwarding.

However PuTTy sessions outside Emacs with X11 forwarding enabled also
set the same environment variable, hence obey the stty. This results in
a read-only terminal window! Therefore I have to have separate PuTTy
settings for non-emacs PuTTy sessions.

Keith Ponting
Aurix Ltd, Malvern WR14 3SZ  UK