[ESS] fix current line while scrolling

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 23:45:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Jannis <bt_jannis at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Dear list members,
>

> does anyone of you know how to switch off the automatic movement of the "current line" when scrolling through an emacs buffer ?
>
> Currently whenever I scroll through some R script, the current line is also "scrolled" whenever it would be outside the visible region.
>
> This is very annoying whenever I try to find matching parentheses and the block of code is larger than the buffer as the parentheses. In such a case the highlighting of the matching parenthesis always disappears as soon as I scroll too far.

You are trying to use emacs as standard word processor. Emacs keeps
the pointer always visible.
Here you are not supposed to "scroll", but move the _cursor_ to
navigate. There are plenty of commands to do so. M-v, C-v to page.
M-{, M-} to navigate between paragraphs. M-<,M->  start end of a
buffer see http://www.gnu.org/s/libtool/manual/emacs/Moving-Point.html
for more.  Also don't forget C-s, C-r.

The one you need is C-M-b, C-M-f to navigate between balanced
expressions. Place you cursor after ) or } and press C-M-b and then
C-M-f to return.

Also if you plan to come back to the same point just press C-space
C-space then move, and when decide to come back just press C-u
C-space.

HTH.
Vitalie.