[ESS] Warning about Emacs/ESS administration and Windows 7 Weirdness

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Sep 1 21:59:53 CEST 2010

On 09/ 1/10 02:43 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I installed Emacs with ESS from Prof Goulet's site (thanks again!
> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/) on some machines
> and everything worked great.  For me.  I mean,  not for other users on
> the machines.   I had that same old problem that R was installed in
> c:\Program Files, but Emacs in C:\Program Files (x86) did not find it.
>   Then I removed R and installed the 32bit version in C:\Program Files
> (x86), but Emacs/Ess could not find it either.  I suppose my registry
> settings were so full of crap by that time it was a lost cause.
>
> But that's not such a bad problem.  As the Windows admin, I can change
> the site-start.el file in Emacs to let it know where Rterm is.  No big
> deal.

Two things jump to mind.  First, why doesn't ESS find R in those
circumstances?  I thought that was fixed.  But, secondly, one solution
would be to use .emacs instead of site-start.el.  That way you could set
HOME to be some directory that you all share that would have the
redefinition of Rterm in it.

Rodney