[ESS] Installing ESS on CentOS?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Oct 27 23:55:19 CEST 2010

Hi, James, et al.:

       I do have root access, but I'm afraid to use it for this:  If I
make a mistake, it might require reinstalling the operating system to
fix it.

       I've downloaded and unpacked Python 2.7 as Mike suggested.
README said I should do "./configure" and "make", which I did.  README
said, "This creates an executable "./python", to install in /usr/local.
first do 'su root' and then 'make install'."  I'm reluctant to do that
it might get used in place of python 2.4.3.  I've renamed the executable
"python2.7", in case that helps.  Then I tried:

             # yum localinstall python2.7

             You need to be root to perform this command.

       Should I try this?  If it uses the given name, then it should
produce the desired parallel install.  However, if it uses a name inside
the file, then it could replace Python 2.4.3 with 2.7, possibly
requiring reinstalling the operating system to fix the resulting problems.

       Thanks again,
       Spencer