[ESS] Installing ESS on CentOS?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Oct 27 22:17:51 CEST 2010

Hi Spencer,

If you don't have root access (either by being on the sudoers list or
having the root password), I am not sure you will be able to install in
either /usr/local nor /opt, which IIRC, are owned by root.

The canonical way to install updated packages when you don't have root
access (this holds true esp for things like R that you want to update
regularly) is to do what Michael proposes below, but you can then do one
of two things.

Either use ./configure --prefix=/yourhomedir/bin, then make and make
install, which will put the binaries in a bin directory in your home
directory that you can point to in your .bashrc file. Or you can simply
do ./configure, then make and forgo the make install. Then the binaries
will reside in e.g., ~/R-2.12.0/bin or ~/python_2.7/bin, and you can
point to each one with an

export PATH=/your/paths:$PATH

in your .bashrc file.

Best,