[ESS] Installing ESS on CentOS?

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Sun Nov 7 23:24:02 CET 2010

Spencer,

> 1. How can one easily change between ESS split screen segments?
> <Ctrl>+<tab > works for me under Windows, ESS 5.3.11, Emacs, 22.3.1.
> However, with Emacs 23.2.1 and ESS 5.11 under Fedora 13 (Goddard) Linux,
> the only way I've found so far is to click in the different window.

Indeed, in emacs those different segments you refer to are called
'windows'.  The way to get from one window to the next
is to run the command "other-window".  By default, that command can
be invoked by typing C-x o in emacs.  That is, hold down Control, press
'x', release all keys, then press 'o'.

It sounds in your Windows version of emacs, that you have installed
some package that added C-TAB as another key that invokes the
other-window command.

Had you been using Vincent Goulet's emacs package that comes with ESS?

Perhaps he has that key bound to that command.  I use C-t to run that
command.

  > 2. Are there easy ways to copy and paste with ESS 5.11, etc.? <Ctrl>-C
> and <Ctrl>+V copy and paste on my Windows machine but not with this Linux.

Once again, this is not the default behavior of a fresh emacs install,
so you are loading something that is changing it.  This one sounds like
something called "cua-mode", so I'm guessing that it has been enabled
somehow. (most likely in your .emacs or init.el file).

You may find the emacs tutorial useful for learning what commands
are available and what keys they are bound to.

Try C-h t to run the tutorial.

Best,
Erik