[ESS] Show toolbar only when using R

Daniel Muenz dmuenz at sdac.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:04:15 CET 2010

Hi Rodney,

I did not mean that I see the R-specific toolbar when editing .sas files.
If tool-bar-mode is active and I'm editing a .R file, then I see the
default buttons (read file, save, print, etc.) plus the R-specific buttons
(submit line, submit function, etc.).  When editing a .sas file, I only see
the default buttons.  Obviously that makes sense and I have no problem with
it.

What I'm hoping for, though, is a way to hide all toolbar buttons (whether
default or otherwise) when editing anything other than a .R file.  That is,
when I'm editing  a .R file, I want tool-bar-mode to be active; when I'm
doing anything else, I want tool-bar-mode to be inactive.

Thanks again,
Daniel

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>                                                                                                           |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                                                                                    |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |03/23/2010 11:44 AM                                                                                                                           |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [ESS] Show toolbar only when using R                                                                                                      |

On 03/23/10 10:36 AM, Daniel Muenz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I like using the special ESS toolbar buttons in Emacs when writing R
code.
> However, in all other cases (and specifically when writing SAS code), I
> don't want the toolbar to even show up.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?  I figured a mode hook was the way to
> go, so I looked for a variable called something like ess-R-mode-hook (or
> possibly ess-S-mode-hook) but couldn't find anything.
>
> Additionally, since I never want the standard set of toolbar buttons
(e.g.,
> read file, save, print, etc.), is there a way to disable those even when
> the ESS toolbar buttons show up?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Daniel

Hi Daniel:

So, you are saying that you see the R-specific toolbar even when you are
editing .sas files?  Well, that is not the intent, and I don't see that
myself either.  Could you share some of your settings to see if that
might be an issue?  As to the default toolbar (which is called
default-toolbar by the way); that has nothing at all to do with ESS, but
you should be able to tweak it with custom and I don't really want to
get into it more than that :o)

Rodney