[ESS] no working R process

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Jan 15 23:27:32 CET 2010

On 01/15/10 02:50 PM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> WAG. Somebody used emacs to edit R-2.7.1 and R-2.8.1 and deleted
> those files afterwords. I guess we could change ess-r-versions-create to
> ignore these vestiges.
>
> Rodney

Aha!  So, the function ess-r-versions-create in essd-r.el needs to use
file-name-sans-versions some where which removes the tilde (and I
suppose other emacs versioning schemes).

And looking at the function, I see ess-chop1 used a lot.  There has got
to be a more readable, elisp friendly way to remove the directory
character (I know that I fought with this some where wrt R, XEmacs and
MS Windows)...

In trying to find it, I'm annoyed by something else.  Does anyone else
hate the naming scheme of essl-s.el, essd-r.el, etc.?  Wouldn't it be
better if it was ess-s-l.el and ess-r-d.el, etc.?  Even better, rename
essl-s.el to ess-r-l.el.  That way, ess-r-l.el and ess-r-d.el would be
right next to each other in a dired buffer and easier on the eyes.

Have a nice weekend!