[ESS] Emacs Modified updated to ESS 5.7.1

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Jan 6 07:40:31 CET 2010

Le mar. 05 janv. à 10:55, Marc Schwartz a écrit :

> On Jan 5, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:
>
>> On 01/ 5/10 04:56 AM, Neil Shephard wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds as though you are compiling things from source and pulling in
>>> all dependencies like the required library manually.
>>>
>>> You might find that pulling in a package management system from a
>>> Linux distro that has been designed to run on OS X would save you a
>>> world of hassle.
>>>
>>> I use Gentoo on my PC's, and their Portage package management system
>>> (based on BSD's ports) is absolutely brilliant and has been ported to
>>> OS X (see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/).
>>>
>>> It might seem a bit of hassle in the first instance, but in the long
>>> run it will likely save you hours of time.
>>>
>>> I'd imagine there are other options out there too.
>>>
>>> HTH's
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>> Hi Neil:
>>
>> That is almost exactly what I meant.  What I do on OS X (and Solaris)
>> is I use MacPorts (OpenCSW) to install GNU Emacs (XEmacs).  This
>> handles
>> all of the library dependencies.  However, then I download the latest
>> source and compile it since I have never found an automated system
>> that
>> does emacs the way that I want it.  Try it, you'll like it :o)
>
> FWIW, I build Emacs 23 from CVS source using a rather simple shell
> script:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
> cd emacs
> ./configure --with-ns
> make bootstrap
> make
> make install
>
> Then I copy the binary app tree from .../nextstep/Emacs.app over to
> the Applications folder.

This is actually exactly what I do, but on top of that I build AUCTeX and ESS into the application folder, make some minimal fine tuning and package everything into a disk image.

I thought of using the Macports application instead, but it uses shared libraries that are not necessarily present on another system. It's probably fairly simple to add a flag somewhere to use static libraries instead, but I don't where and how and didn't feel like looking for it. Furthermore, I did not succeed (if I recall correctly) to build a 32-bit version of the application, for distribution to people on < 10.6 systems.

Otherwise, my build procedure is pretty much automated through a Makefile.

Vincent