[ESS] ess-remote trouble

Dan Davison davison at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 17 01:40:37 CET 2010

Matthew Keller <mckellercran at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> At this very moment, I came onto the ESS help boards because I was
> having this same issue, and lo and behold, a post about it 9 minutes
> ago! (What are the chances of that??)
>
> I am currently using
> 1) M-x shell
> 2) ssh -XC user at host
> 3) R
> 4) M-x ess-remote <r>
>
> I did this for two different processes. I had to rename the first one
> "Session2" so that commands would go from the appropriate .R buffer.
> About 10 minutes into this, the prompt on the first buffer stopped
> working.
>
> This is but one of many problems I've had using M-x shell and so I'm
> ready to move on to other alternatives for using emacs remotely.
>
> Could someone either explain how to get around this M-x shell issue,
> or direct me to simple instructions for how to use tramp? I don't

Hi Matthew,

I've only recently started using this method, but I think it might be as
simple as M-x R, and then when prompted for the working directory
entering something of the form

/user at host:/path/to/dir

(see http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Filename-Syntax)

This relies on ess-ask-for-ess-directory being non-nil, and R being in
tramp-remote-path. You could also have ess-ask-for-ess-directory set to
nil, and use M-x cd with the tramp remote file syntax to change the
current buffer's directory (i.e. the buffer-local value of
default-directory), before starting R.

Dan