[ESS] ess-remote trouble

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 23:23:46 CET 2010

Hi all,

At this very moment, I came onto the ESS help boards because I was
having this same issue, and lo and behold, a post about it 9 minutes
ago! (What are the chances of that??)

I am currently using
1) M-x shell
2) ssh -XC user at host
3) R
4) M-x ess-remote <r>

I did this for two different processes. I had to rename the first one
"Session2" so that commands would go from the appropriate .R buffer.
About 10 minutes into this, the prompt on the first buffer stopped
working.

This is but one of many problems I've had using M-x shell and so I'm
ready to move on to other alternatives for using emacs remotely.

Could someone either explain how to get around this M-x shell issue,
or direct me to simple instructions for how to use tramp? I don't
understand exactly what to do to start tramp up and how to use it. Any
help would be appreciated...

Matt

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 12:02 -0500, Dan Davison wrote:
>>
>> But no, that doesn't solve the problems with an inactive prompt when
>> using ess-remote with M-x shell. However, I see that the ESS
>> documentation suggests using M-x ssh, not M-x shell, and this seems to
>> work fine. So perhaps I'm reporting problems with something that's not
>> encouraged usage.
> I've been using ESS remote without problems.  I don't recall all the
> details now, but I think I used M-x shell and then ssh.  I'm on Debian
> lenny, and so have the oldish ESS 5.3.8 (svn 3917).
>
> It might help to check if the remote R is using lots of CPU (or disk
> accesses if you can check that).
>
> Perhaps the remote R is trying to popup a window and either failing, or
> waiting forever for you to respond to the window.  The delay might be in
> the error condition arising, e.g., from lack of resources.
>
> Ross Boylan

Matthew C Keller
Asst. Professor of Psychology
University of Colorado at Boulder