[ESS] ESS and font-lock support.

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 18 17:29:48 CET 2010

    > Hello Rich, thanks a lot for your comments, I had not
    > looked at "ess-font-lock.el" close enough to notice de
    > different font locking functions.  I just copied one of
    > those functions to my .emacs file, renamed it and adjusted
    > to colors of my liking.  I'll play around a little bit
    > with them to see what I do prefer.

One further note about your exchange with the Emacs list, and
their recommendations / notes about a possible bug in ESS:

They mentioned that it would be a bug if we did load
ess-font-lock.el *and* execute the font-lock setting options
automatically.
Note that we do *NOT* do that, and BTW, I have never even made
any use of ess-font-lock.el myself.
That file has been there for the convenience of some, and should
really rather be considered "demo" / "teaching example" rather than
part of ESS.  Note that it has nothing to do with ESS per se
as indeed, it changes font faces "everywhere".
If you look into the file, you see that ESS is really nowhere
used, the only thing "ESS" is the file name and the function
names.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich