[ESS] Finding Rterm in R 2.12.0 on Windows

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 11 10:10:22 CET 2010

Dear Ruth,

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 18:24, Ruth M. Ripley <ruth at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> In R 2.12.0, Rterm.exe is in a subdirectory of bin and ess cannot find it. I
> have just tried changing the code myself, and (after some advice from my
> local expert on R executables) replaced Rterm.exe by R.exe in line 436 of
> ess-r-d.el and compiled. I don't have a 64 bit installation handy to test,
> but this finds D:/R/R-2.12.0patched/bin/i386/Rterm.exe on my 32 bit machine.
> (Of course it may have upset other things!)
>
> I know I can set the path to R in the site files, or put R in my path, but
> it would be nice not to have to do the update every time there is a new
> version of R.

Which versions of Emacs/ESS are you using?
For Windows, the mostly widely used is the "Emacs for Windows
modified" jumbo package
from Vincent Goulet (quickly found from the 'Download" tab on
http://ess.r-project.org/

I won't be the person to help you in detail here,  but for others to
help you, it's of importance to know with which configuration (Emacs
<-> ESS ) you are working.

ESS itself is setup in principle to recognize (and support via  M-x R,
M-x R-<ver>)
*several* versions of R available on the given computer.
But indeed, the detection of these versions is platform dependent
and may work differently are not optimally anymore with the new
64-bit/ 32-bit  multi-architecture installations.

Martin Maechler